Monday, July 7, 2008

To be a kid again...

Jason had off Friday and Monday, so it was nice to have a four day weekend with not too many plans. We went to the zoo Friday and had such a blast! The Henry Doorly Zoo is incredible! I have to admit; I think the last time I had been to a zoo was during a field trip in probably the third grade. Well, this zoo was bigger than any zoo that I could have imagined being in the middle of Omaha, Nebraska. I've never been to the San Diego zoo, but people say that this one is even better... I guess I'm biased because I can just imagine the "other" scenery around San Diego-- one day!

I could have sat and watched the monkeys forever--- they were by far my favorite thing. They just seemed so similar to humans; joking with one another, fighting, scrambling around. It was fantastic to watch them interact.


The lions and tigers and bears were great too. I think I have a harder time enjoying getting to see them because I am constantly thinking about how much they need a bigger space to walk around in, to run free in the woods, or the jungle or whatever their natural habitat is. I guess that is part of going to a zoo though--- and I also am thankful that they are well taken care of there also.

At the end of the day we (Justin, Brynn, Jason and me) took a steam engine train ride around the entire park so we were able to make sure we caught everything. We were able to see the elephants and zebras at that point, without having to walk an extra mile.




It was a blast being able to feel like a five year old again. I think more than anything, I enjoyed watching the little kids see these animals for the first time. They were so fascinated and overwhelmed. All of the little kids were so happy:) And, it was the 4th of July... I'm sure they were anticipating the fireworks as well!

No comments: