Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My new "job"

It's not really a job, I'm volunteering. Don't get too excited. Actually, about a week ago I decided that I was really tired of just going to the pool and doing nothing all day, so I began thinking of ways to volunteer. Of course, the first thing that pops into my head is the food bank. I did my research and emailed Joyce at the Omaha Food Bank, letting her know that I was interested in volunteering and to see if I could help out with anything. She was more than thrilled to get my email, and she asked if I could give three or four mornings or afternoons per week. I told her that I could do three mornings a week and last Tuesday was my first day on the job.

The food bank is hosting it's 1st Annual "O! What a Duck Race" that will take place on July 26th at Heartland of America Park, where ConAgra foods headquarters are located. At 1pm that afternoon, the food bank will release 20,000 rubber duckies into the lake and the first duck to cross the finish line will win a brand new car! One duck is $5 and you can buy them in "packs" from there. For example, you can buy a "6 quack" for $25 or a "Max Quack Pack" for $100. How flipping cute!?!?!

Also, each duck has a chance of winning ONE MILLION dollars... if your duck number matches the lucky number AND is the seventh duck to cross the finish line, you win!!! Yes, I realize those chances are slim, but how exciting is that chance!!!???!!! WOW!

Back to volunteering... I am doing odds and ends to make sure that things are going smoothly with the Duck Race. To go along with the duck race, the food bank is doing the "Duck Olympics" where teams of four do mini-relay races to compete for the grand prize and the Duck Trophy! One of my tasks was to create the trophy, so I really love it--- it's a big trophy with a HUGE rubber duckie on top! I'll take pictures and be sure to post soon. I helped organize some of the olympic activities and today I did quite a bit of data entry, making sure all of the adopted ducks will have numbers for our tagging party next week. Yep, that's right... we will HAND number all 20,000 ducks!

I love what I am doing and I really feel like I have been called to this organization. It's a great cause with great people to be surrounded with... if you're interested in adopting a duck (it's only five bucks), let me know!

No comments: